Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM
RC Dan
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Mock a Lightning... 5.0 swap into '97 F150

Bought the truck with a bad 4.2. Cheapest I could do to repair or replace the motor was $900. Too much for a little v6 that didn't get better mileage than the modular v8s and has many problems. Had a decently built 302 in my garage that I took over 1 1/2 years collecting cheap parts for slowly. I took my time with it. So, why not. Cost me the same amount to make it fit and work than to put it back to stock with the 4.2. In the end, I could have a truck that'll be pretty quick.

I utilized the stock mounts on the frame and made a couple of nice, strong mounts with poly spring bushings.

The 5.0 is built up a bit. With what I've done, I should be around 350+ hp. I'm running a '93 Cobra computer. I'm going to try and use the stock ECM to control the 4R70W trans and keep the speedo working that came in the truck. I'm fairly confident I can do it. I'm going to dummy out a bunch of sensors for it and tie in the few key ones that are used to control the transmission. These trucks use the same sensor values for oil, coolant temp, tps, air charge, ect. Most of it will be switch and splice.

The exhaust, I'm running shorty headers down to a homemade Y-pipe to 1 or 2 3.5" straight through mufflers(depends on whether 1 will be enough). Intake will be a standard 5.0 truck ducting and a large K&N cone filter I had lying here. Stock radiator and an electric fan will do for cooling. I'm going to see if the factory FPMS will still work or not before I just jump it out to the Mustang ECM. Transmission will get a shift kit and a stronger torque converter. Stock 8.8 axle in the back temporarily(I don't think it will hold up to well). Larger brakes up front. Older Ford Saginaw power steering pump and bracket(factory A/C will still bolt in place). And I'm going to put in a 130amp alternator to help push a system I'm putting in.

Oh, and for appearance, I got my hands on a Roush Racing body kit. Its a silver metallic color, but we'll see how it looks. I might just do a 2 tone appearance with it.

In order to have running I need to get:
-higher stall, stronger torque converter(Hughes performance)
-stand alone harness for 5.0(Ford Racing)
-shift/correction kit for 4R70W(TCI)
-replace front brakes(going with slightly larger)
-run brake lines throughout whole truck

And since I just sold my old Bronco, I now have the funds to finish this.