Old 05-23-2010, 02:18 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to be calling you out, but I doubt you can do a complete overhaul for only $500. Maybe new rings, bearings and gaskets with just a quick deglazing and a middle shelf rebuild brand, but thats not really a full rebuild IMO.

I got my ATS088 turbo kit for $200 (or was it $250? can't remember) but it was not complete. Still had to make the downpipe and cross over pipe and since I used SS, that was not on the cheap.

What should be mentioned here is that its very unlikely that a lightly loaded IDI will get better MPGs when turbocharged. The fuel economy gain is almost exclusively when loaded moderately or near maximum. For light criusing around empty, you will not see a significant improvement. That doesn't mean it will hurt fuel economy, but be aware of what your truck can reasonably deliver and don't expect a 3 MPG improvement if you are already getting the high teens. The MPG improvement seems to be proportional to how heavy the engine is loaded when making the comparison.

All of my high MPG (anywhere from 18-22) trips are with the boost gauge holding steady between 0.5 and 1 lb of turbo boost.

If it wasn't for the fact they I work my truck and do a lot of towing at highway speeds, I probably wouldn't have bothered with a turbo, but it also kina dropped on my lap with the seller being only a 10 minute drive away. As it is now, the truck would probably cruise just fine empty even with no turbocharger, but having that extra power on tap does come in handy and offers an extra safety net when traffic gets more challenging.

Whats ironic, is that now that I am experimenting with hypermiling, my speeds are now below what they were before I added the turbo LOL!