Thread: Vanity Plates?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Amazon512
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vanity Plates?

Hi y'all, I bought a f250 a few months ago, and I'm still in the newly-wed phase of our relationship. It's a 2004, 4x4, 5.6L daily driver. (I know the engine is not as fast or impressive as most of yours, but I don't haul anything and it's perfect for me, so take no shots please. I needed a truck because I live in the country, and my boyfriend is a giant of a man who doesn't fit in cars properly, but I frequently only go 2-3 miles per trip. Can you tell I've gotten a lot of crap from my friends for not getting the PSD or v10? Yes indeed, and I'm a bit sensitive about it, thanks.)

ANYWAY, hehe.. I bought a vanity plate.

I'd like to know, in a general way, what is the consensus on vanity plates on a truck? It's a cute truck, I think, sporting big tires and mirrors, but not modded to heck and back either. Does it matter what the plate says? Who is driving it?

Honestly, the plate is kind of my way of saying "this is MY truck". I'm not girlie enough to put anything pink on my truck (ugh!), and I get looks from other drivers -- and yes, I am talking to you, truck dudes -- that seem to scream "I can't believe He lets you drive that truck!" (Well they sell them to women, too, sheesh. I bought it myself.) So, after a few months of perceiving this, I'm trying to do something not-cutesy (or pink) that personalizes my truck. I don't care to promote my alma matters' football teams, either, and I generally don't like bumper stickers on my vehicles, so that's out. Vanity plates seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that they're ready I'm having second thoughts. I'm nervous about it, even. Does it make me more likely to get pulled over? Is it an irrecoverably cheesy thing to do to one's truck? I don't know.

May I please hear from the community, your thoughts on vanity plates? And on girls driving big trucks, if you please. (They feel safer. If I ever have kids, a big truck is the first vehicle my daughter will drive, no doubt.)

If anyone already has vanity plates, I'd really like to know what your thoughts are in hindsight. And, in the spirit of full disclosure, here's a pic of what I ordered: http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...tos/AM4ZON.jpg