View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 05:19 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DJR96
The ECU can calculate gas flow through the EGR. During a period of steady cruising speed it will close the EGR valve, takes note of the air flow going into the engine via the MAF, the opens the EGR valve again, it is looking for a decrease in flow through the MAF because some gas should be coming through the EGR. If it doesn't sense an appropriate drop in air flow it assumes the EGR it clogged (or otherwise tampered with) and will run the engine with fuel injected a little retarded (effectively richer) in an attempt to reduce NOx exhaust emissions. That's the EPA for ya!
The result of this is that fuel economy may suffer a little. But you would need to keep good fuel consumption/mileage records to confirm if that's the case for your truck. Some people have noticed a difference, some haven't. It might depend on which strategy is loaded into your ECU's memory.

Hope I got that all right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong..........

I am using the factory flash - and the drop in fuel economy is sizable.

Somewhere in the 10% range.

That is why clearing the CEL for EGR failure is so important - unless there is a way to turn off the monitoring of EGR function.