Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Toyota Box Pitman Arm Source - For Sure This Time!

I've been doing research for my steering setup and wanted to throw a bone out there for any other current or future Toyota steering gear swappers - especially with an oddball setup like my Dana 44 live front axle. There are aftermarket pitman arms available from several of the truck parts vendors for this swap and they have the ball welded into them for use with a stock Ford drag link. They're fine for most of our applications, but not very useful if you want to build an adjustable length drag link with regular tapered stud tie rod ends. This is what I need to do for my F-2 in the course of the 4x4 conversion. I needed a pitman arm that would fit the Toyota steering gear but with a tapered hole for a tie rod end instead of the ball. I thought about making one, but I didn't really want to be welding up something critical like a pitman arm - plus it would have been a hassle. That's when I found this -

Toyota Flat Pitman Arm | Pitman Arms | WFOConcepts.com

They are designed for a different variety of Toyota 4x4 steering box in an IFS cross steer application, but the spline is correct for the Toyota box that we use, the length is about right, and it can be had tapered for a couple different common tie rod ends. Cheap, too! Perhaps this will be useful for somebody else as well.

CPP also carries a similar arm for use on the '57-'60 trucks that originally had a tapered stud type drag link, but I don't know how much it is or what kind of tie rod ends it will accept.