Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
geocraig77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump replacement-am I in over my head?

2001 F150 Supercab 4x4 5.4 engine
It must have been the bragging about only replacing 2 COPs, ball joints, battery (battery lasted 140K) and the other routine stuff after 176K miles that landed me where I am but signs are pointing to fuel pump after I try the easy stuff (fuel filter, check the pressure, listen for the prime, etc.) All things I have learned from reading on here. The dealership quoted a cost of $730 for the fuel pump replacement, NAPA sells it for $170 for the pump and $250-$340 for the whole unit. Background: driving home last night and she stopped accelerating and died as I moseyed onto the shoulder. Put some gas in, cranked relentlessly but didn't start. Checked the pressure valve and fuel shot out so I thought a firing issue but spraying starter fluid in the intake got it to run at home so it's a fuel delivery issue. My plan would be to drop the tank. So.......1) if everything looks OK should I just replace the pump itself and not the assembly and 2) is this something I can do alone over a weekend? Any thoughts or known write ups would be a great help. I searched but did not find anything. I always appreciate the help.