Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One more thing....rust?

I chased a couple threads and it looks like you are in Michigan, as am I.

By now, a 1999 van that has been driven in winters in Michigan may have some serious rust forming. Feel the seams at the bottom of ALL the doors on the van. Any that are bulging or brown means there is cancer in there.

I have not studied where body rust on these vans starts but if you look at some older ones on the road, you'll see.

Also does it have complex paint? I once had a fancy Starcraft that I bought from a guy at work and flipped a few months later to make a couple bucks. This one had panels upon panels of fancy paintwork that looked *pretty* good but had body cancer starting. What a mess it would be to have to repair rust or replace panels and doors with a 20-tone paint scheme. Old, messed up gaudy conversion vans are sickening...

The name of the van converter doesn't mean all that much. They all have high end and low end models, and all are made by hand, often kind of sloppily. Sometimes the high end ones just have a lot more crap in them, put together just as badly as the cheapo versions.

I've owned 5 conversion vans over the years. My d'Elegant is the favorite of the ones I've had. I bought it specifically because it uses the factory glass (if it has aftermarket windows, check for creeping rust around the perimeters where they were cut.) Mine also has very little fake wood crap inside, and has a molded gray urethane surround around the perimeter of the windows--looks very factory, unlike the masonite/cheap padded cloth you normally see. Very much like a Club Wagon but with the seats spaced out for more legroom and a little more carpet padding. I don't go for the loose cushion giant seats, or acres of fake wood (or real wood).

And mine is pure Oxford White, no stripes, no sleazy graphics, no bad overspray fade jobs. Again, it looks like a Club Wagon.

George