View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
fraso
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drewdole
we need more propane cars and biodiesel trucks even at a 50 50 ratio on bio diesel and all new cars becoming fueled by propane. we r funding at least some of americas enemies every time u buy fuel. we got loads of propane right here. we must stop importing so much crude oil . i even think gasoline should start to be phased out , we need to cut off these arabs
We have more CNG than LPG and CNG is usually cheaper/BTU. Propane conversions usually make more sense for cars because of their greater driving range. If you're near a public CNG station, diesel-CNG dual fuel systems usually have the faster payback.

Originally Posted by blueeyedfordguy
yes, I like the idea of both. Both are really cool! But, both have mild problems in cold weather. I want to run an 80's ford on propane. It may end up being half the cost. You can by propane engines through jasper rebuilt engines, and roush finway makes high preformance kits. Both are very strong ideas. I love bio and propane. Propane would be easier for me, but I don't have the $ to start doing so..
A propane conversion on earlier vehicles is a bit harder to do now that Dual Curve is out of business. Technocarb still makes conversion kits for these vehicles but you need to make sure that you can get propane for much less than 70% of the price of gasoline.

Originally Posted by blueeyedfordguy
yeah, i have researched a lot more on propane powered fords, and they can start just like any engine in cold weather if not better as long as they have a block heater.
Propane vehicles do not need a block heater if they're properly set up. Whether the car starts in sub-zero weather depends more on the battery than on the fuel.

YouTube - Starting a Propane Car in Cold Weather

Originally Posted by dessmo
No block heater in my car, no need as long as you use the right oil. And you can always switch to gas if you cant us propane for any reason.
Modern propane conversions are dual-fuel injection-conversions. They're designed to normally start on gasoline and automatically switch over to propane when the engine reaches the switch-over temperature. Switch-overs back & forth are done by pushing a button as shown in the following video.

4.3l Vortec Propane Installation video by turbine_guy - Photobucket