View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002, 03:39 PM
DeGideo
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 5.0 EFI factory HP/Torque ???

Looks like the answer to the roller cam/year question is answered by a fellow poster in the Windsor engine forum.They asked FoMoCo about roller cams in car & trucks.They basically said Mustang 5.0L &truck 5.0L got a roller block in 1988.The Mustang's started using a roller cam in '88 models,but trucks used a flat tappet cam(with the same Mustang roller block)thru 1991 models. That would lead me to believe '92 was the first year for the roller cam in 302 truck engines.My Dad has a '93 Flareside with a EFI302,which he is the second owner.The original owner claims our Flareside has a factory roller cam,and driving the truck(the few times I've had wheeltime....) I can't dispute his claim. I get a lot of stuff from Ford, and I could've sworn that with the info. they sent me in 1994,it said new for '94 was a roller cam in both 302 & 351 truck engines. I have so much stuff, it's literally all over the place. One book that's a non-Ford source book(and a great book for info., I must say) is Standard Catalog of 4x4's 1945-1993 by Robert C. Ackerson. This book not only lists engine specs,but also stuff like production numbers, factory prices for options,and shipping weights. I'm pretty sure the EFI302 truck engine remained unchanged from '85-'87, and all the Ford books I have list 185@3,800 rpm for it. That said, this book lists the 1985 version of the EFI302 engine at 190 net @3,800rpm/285 lb./ft. of torque@2,400rpm. Just to see F.R.P.P.'s take on all this, I just sent them a letter.I've been meaning to ask about a roller cam swap for my 1990 Bronco's 5.0L, and any suggestions they had. I also asked about when roller cams were actually put into the 302&351 truck engines,and what exactly were the horsepower ratings.When in doubt, I figure they are the best source. They've always been EXTREMELY helpful to me in the past(especially with my numerous questions about my EFI460....). Hopefully, they'll get back to me soon. There's nothing like talking about engines-n-stuff.:7