Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WVVan
More insulation.
All the supplies I used for this posting were already on hand.

After I mounted the first insulated fiberboard panel I noticed the empty space behind it.
From left to right in the picture below is the inside of the van, fiberboard, extruded foam glued to the fiberboard, empty space where the rear windows would have been mounted, Reflectix insulation on van wall.

This gap varies from 1-1/2 to 2 inches.

The amount of space lost there from paneling / rigid foam / fiberglass / bubble foil is sizable.

I went for a much simpler method --- thick poly barrier on inside, then, fiberglass directly on top, then more thick poly --- then paneling.

The one major difference is I "framed" it with furrier strips., and also, with a 4" X 1/2 strip that ran down the middle of the wall.

I looked at commercial vans --- found that is where they attached the "mooring" for equipment on both sides.

The wooden piece mean it can be drilled / etc... and screws put in easily.

In retrospect, if I had used a foil backing (foil alone) or aluminum plastic (not bubble --- too expensive) it would have achieved the goal of a foil bubble.

I didn't do that, opting for the simplicity of fiberglass and some rigid foam.

Rigid foam was used on the side door (window where there is no cutout),

It was also used to build a "trunk" that is separated from the living compartment.