View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
79 Crewcab 4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truth be told, I think I can get away without swapping firewalls.. Regardless of what the tape said, once it's on there it.... looks like it'll go. There's a heat shield on the firewall that looks like it'll have to move for the new downpipe (which only half showed up today ). The brake booster looks like it bolts up, but the hoses seem short right now which could mean my measurements could have missing something. I'll be using some combination of rad supports which will be determined by how they fit together after the cab gets bolted into place. When the cab goes forward, it'll have to go up as well (rear of cab is on frame without rubber mounts right now) which seems to open up a ton of room.... up is good at this point. The clearance needed for the downpipe seems to be below the heater box at this point and any height will only improve that. I might still swap firewalls anyway.... get the new heater and A/C from the 97 cab which would be nice but after seeing that the brakes might bolt in, there really aren't that many holes to make so.. time will tell.

All the factory mounts I have at my disposal drop off from the frame which lowers the ride height of the cab... would like to find a set that were flat coming off the frame so I wouldn't have to build some. Other than that, the rear mounts will fit where they fit, once the cab is forward enough to get the rad covered I can figure the rad support out and... worry about the box later. As is the rear axle is about a foot too far back to line up with my box. I've got the idea in my head to get some half fenders for a semi bolt them on with some walking deck over the frame and drive it for the summer before doing the 4wd swap.

Cold weather moving in so that and the waiting for the rest of the D-pipe should mean a couple days off the project, got studying I should be doing anyways so....