Old 04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
jeepmike887
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new calipers, now spongy brakes after bleed

hey, new here, just thought i'd see what you guys thought of this problem. I'm not too familiar with these trucks, but I've been working on my buddies 1999 e350 ford van.

the other day we were going out kayaking, and the brakes locked up, we were able to drive it home, but it was obvious the brakes were holding the truck back. decided to check it out today, found one front and one rear caliper were sticking, the dual piston calipers only had one working, which I believed to be causing the pads to get pressed together crooked, and caused them to "lock up" or get stuck.

anyways, got the new calipers on and no more sticking, so I bled the brakes started in the front and went all the way to the back, did every caliper. brakes feel firm with the vehicle off, but instantly when the van is started, the pedal goes to the floor. it still stops okay, but the pedal feel is not nearly where it should be.

I got all of the air out of the system, but the abs light is on, and has been for a while. I'm wondering if there is something else that needs to be bled in the abs? someone was telling me about bleeding the abs motor?

Any help on this would be great, thanks guys.