View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
And they are switch on the fly too so no stopping, turning off the iginition and on again 2 times while pressing the brake and holding your tounge to the right..... bah. You just let off the gas like you are coasting, switch settings, and a little indicator goes off letting you know it is ready. About 2 seconds.
Shift on the fly tuners work really well with the 7.3. I strongly discourage their use with the 6.0 and later trucks.

It is statistically far better to have one that custom tunes to your truck then to have an off the shelf tuner. However, I'm also skeptical about mpg gain claims from tuners, too much variation between truck/driver to the next.

By far the tuner with the best praise for tuning on the 6.4 is the Spartan one, even people that advocate SCT for the 6.0s, say Spartan hands down for the 6.4.

To the OP: I would suggest you do a lot of research on the subject of tuners if you are considering getting one and post your questions in the 6.4 specific thread. Getting the wrong tuner(like getting the wrong wife, thankfully I'm not speaking from personal experience, just know people that can attest to that) can play hell with everything. Research it(not just ad research either) and then make sure you have zero questions left unanswered before you make your decision. Going with a tuner can affect a lot of things related to the truck other then ECM/PCM/(maybe)FICM tuning. Repair work needing to be done and rather or not you have a warranty to cover that work also play a big part in rather or not it's worth it in your mind to get a tuner.

Originally Posted by barrel racer
My trailer is a Living Quarter, Trails West, 4-horse with a slide-out. The dry weight is 10,000# and loaded about 16,000#, with a tongue weight of 2500#. I checked with the trailer dealer and he said he see's this often with Ford, more so than with any other truck.

I haul ~16k worth of horse flesh too and I don't have the problems that you are having, however, I do have a 6.0, not a 6.4. Given though that it cleared up with a lighter trailer, something must having been going on with that trailer or a combination of that trailer and truck, I dunno.