View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
1985 Bed Side Repair or Replace Dilemma?

OK, first off, know that I know NOTHING about paint and bodywork, so don't expect me to see the "obvious."

My 1985 short bed is in need of some minor (I think) repairs. I have some innocent looking "bubbling" on both lower rockers that have been there for about 10 years that do not seem weak at all and have not gotten any worse. The paint has not even broken or cracked yet. And on the driver's side, there is large vertical dent toward the back, right above the bad rocker on that side.

I was told by two different body shops that the dent could be pulled out, but that both lower rockers would need to be replaced. After doing some research and searching the local junkyards, I came up with a few options:

Option 1: Pull the dent out, and replace the lower rockers on both sides with patch panels.

Option 2: There is a truck bed in a local junkyard that is in good shape where mine isn't that I can cut out the material that I need and just replace the dented area and both lower rocker panels with OEM sheet metal.

Option 3: I found a complete bed in another junkyard that has two perfect bedsides, even in my same exact color, that I can buy. The thing is, the box floor and tailgate are really rusty, whereas mine are in perfect shape with no rust at all. I was thinking I could just buy the complete bed and replace both entire bedsides. How do these bedsides come off? Is this more trouble and expense than options 1 or 2?

I am going to be repainting this truck in the next year, so I really want a solid truck done right. Will all of these options turn out the same result? Will one be more trouble/expense than the others? Which one would you choose?