View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
I thought I had it fixed with the "upgrade" caliper slide pins. I guess not. It's doing it again. It's worse the faster I go. My wife called me and told me today while I was at work and she was driving our truck. "It's squealing really bad and pulling to the left really hard."

The pads were replaced ~18,000 miles ago. The caliper slide pins were "upgraded" ~8,000 miles ago. Is this a constant annoyance with these calipers? I have never owned a vehicle where the caliper slide pins seized or pull to one side. It's getting old. Does Ford have "upgrade" calipers for these trucks?
Jason, do you happen to have one of those infrared thermometers? Might be a good idea to make a good run, then hop out and take some readings of ALL four rotors. (backs can cause pull too) If it is sticking on the front, I'll bet your problem is on the RIGHT side.

Also not to hard to do some rudimentary testing by pulling the wheel and see if you can manually slide the caliper with your hand. Should require effort, but be possible to move the caliper. Then you can go back in the truck, give the brakes a good application again, and repeat the test. A few times and you should get an idea if it requires about the same amount of effort to move each of the calipers, they should all be close. If you don't like changing parts, and you find a caliper that is "sticking", bench test it to rule out the brake line before running out and buying a new caliper.

Last thing, while I did all of the above years ago, I wound up replacing the calipers on the front of my truck two times before it was finally right. Both times were OE Ford calipers. (Apparently my originals had some composite pistons or some crap) Good luck.

-C