Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 AM
goingape
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1st Brake Change, Front Caliper Problem

2004 F150 5.4 Lariat 4x4 128k miles-
Let me start by saying This is my first brake job, I searched the forum for caliper problems, and read up to pg 45 in the forums and haven't seen anything describing a problem like this. So I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my ignorance.
I acquired this truck about a thousand miles ago. The front passenger brake started to squeal, so I looked at the rotor and I noticed the pad had started to grind into the rotor. After reading many threads on this site (which is the f-ing bomb I must add) I figure time for new front rotors and ceramic pads.
I get home and begin to change the brakes. Took the cap off the brake reservoir. First the driver side, no problems, the rotor was still ok, and there was still a little meat on the pads. The caliper retracted just as I figured it would. Now the passenger side, everything goes fine till I am trying to get the pistons in the caliper to retract (using c clamps). They just didnt want to budge, it took twenty minutes to get the bad boys back in. Put everything back together, put the wheel back on and left the tire up off of the ground. I go in the truck start it up. Pump the brake pedal till it stiffens up. I tried to spin the tire and it was seized.
Ok sorry about how long winded this is but I want to be thorough in case I missed something. It seems obvious that the caliper needs to be replaced. Should I replace both fronts? or is it ok to just do the problem side?
Again, sorry about the novel I posted, I am just trying to be thorough.