Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't recently but it was years ago. An older guy in McMinnville showed me this old pile of stuff. I was a tbucket like but in pieces. He explained it was the first auto in Warren Co. It was a 1903 made auto. I don't remember the brand though. He wanted 50 for it. I thought it was a pile of scrap. But now that I am older I agree with what he said. It could have been made into a bucket car. I just didn't see it. The really cool cat he had was a Model T or A . It was the one with a rumble seat. It looked showroom new except for a small rust hole in the back about the size of a quarter. It was all original, I think it even had wooden spoked wheels.

Anyway he told me of this lady who told him about it. She told him it was out west,maybe Wyoming or Nerbraska. She told him the road off the interstate and it was on a hill. He was taking a restored vehicle out that way about 6 months later and sure enough there it was. He had just dropped off the other car and thought if he could he would get it. Anyway he stopped and talked to the old farmer who had it. He said he would put bales of hay in the rumble seat and stack them up to take to the cows he had. He asked if he would sell it. He said I don't reckon so, I plan on cutting the back off to make a truck out of it.

He said he had thought of buying his neighbors old truck to haul hay but it would cost more than fixing this one up. He told me he was expecting the old man to say a high price but he asked what the neighbor wanted for it. The old man said its kind of high but it would be perfect for around his farm , he wanted 350 for it. The guy said I have 350 I will give you for this one and save you the time. The old farmer said I will help you load it if you take me down the road to buy the other. So he did and got that old car. I have often wondered what happened to that old car.