View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody asked for more info on my Kwikee step install and I lost the info before I could reply, so here ya go:

I had to drill two holes in the truck itself at the outer ends of the running board brackets. All the other angle iron bolted into existing holes in the frame. I installed a master cutoff switch in the engine compartment. Electrical feed comes off the passenger side battery post. There's a 30 amp circuit breaker installed in the main motor circuit. The control circuits use a tap off an alway live fuse under the driver's dash panel. There's a magnetic switch on the door post so the step operates in conjunction with the door - (open the door, the step extends, close the door, the step retracts). There's an over-ride toggle switch mounted on the lower part of the center console. Flipping that switch and the step will extend when the door is opened and stay extended as long as the engine is not running. Start the engine and the step retracts.

I installed the step because my wife has a bum knee and it was either make it easier to get in the truck or get a low-slung car (but not a Vette or Viper.) This step installation splits the difference between the ground and the KR running board exactly in half for her.