Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 PM
jackpiner57
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revytrucks
Thanks for the more info. Personally, I would say that the solenoid is probably ok if the 4X4 light stays on all the time. Here is some info I found about testing the solenoids to make sure:

The default setting ground applied to the disengage solenoid. You can test this with a continuity meter. Engage 4x4 and probe the red ground wire to the engage solenoid (closest solenoid to the fender). There should be continuity to ground. Then disengage 4x4 and probe the Gray w/Black stripe ground wire to the disengage solenoid ground wire ( closest solenoid to the engine). There should be continuity. If these circuits check out then test the solenoids. If they don't test OK the 4x4 indicator switch or the relay or the GEM may be defective.

I haven't found exactly what the process is that turns the 4X4 light on and off, however, since both the 4X4 and the light stays on, that somehow the switch in the transfer case is somehow staying on. I am not familiar with this part of the 4X4 system, so I can't really elaborate on what you have found out. I would say that you are right on the money.

What I would reccommend is going to the Ford dealership and asking questions about the sensor. Ask for a part number for it and they will generally help out. It usually works for me.

I'll see what else I can dig up.
revytrucks,

After putting the new engage solenoid in, it made no difference. The front differential was still locked in. However, the truck was well warmed up because I had just gotten back from the dealer. Here's the rub. After letting it cool down overnight, I crawled under the truck and pulled the connector off of the Transmission Range Sensor Switch on the front of the transfer case. It was all clean and shiny. I then started the truck and noticed that the disengage solenoid had activated, thus disengaging the front differential! Yay. Maybe it reset something?

I then reconnected the connector and got into the truck. Everything worked normally again! I drove around and shifted in and out of 4wd with no problems whatsoever. Until about the 10 mile mark, when all of a sudden it started getting finicky. I let the truck cool down and all was normal again. Until it warmed up.

Summary: I think the problem is a bad Transmission Range Sensor Switch. I took it out and noticed it was clean and shiney, but the little ball got stuck when I pushed it in. I think this is the problem. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to see if they have one. I'll report back with my findings.