View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts
I just finished a R&R on my rear tank. The guage had quit working among other things. The original float, made of brass, was about 1/3 full of gasoline. It cost $14 at the Ford dealer. They run $5-$6 plus shipping on line. The fuel lines are locked in place by plastic clips that are reletively pricey. I think about $2.50 each. Cost me $20 to get out the door.

The new float fixed the guage problem. I put gas in the rear tank and have been running off that tank. Needle is dropping faster than I think it should. I think it is pumping some of the gas into the front tank. I'll know if the diverter valve needs attention soon enough.

sdstriper, The float didn't just vanish. My guess is the former owner couldn't justify the price of a new float from the dealer. Rationalle; you never run out with two tanks so who needs a guage. (you better remember when one is empty). To me it was too much work dropping the tank to not fix it.

Note: my tank was remarkably clean inside. I have been a proponent of "Sea Foam" for almost twenty years.