View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that a five year follow up to this post might be interesting to some of you.

Not long after originally starting this thread and learning that they did indeed make a stick shift, V8, 4 wheel drive I found and bought one. This was January or February of 2005. I had to drive to Houston to get it, which is over 300 miles from home.

I bought a 2000 model, Regular Cab, short narrow, 4.6, 5 speed, 4X4 with 59,000 miles for a little over $10,000. It had a very expensive set of Weld wheels and 33" tires. I didn't care for the tires, but liked the wheels. I finally wore out the tires and replaced them with a set of Michelin LTX's in 245 70 16. The tires transformed the truck. They are quiet and much lighter than those big hides, so it is now peppier, smoother and quieter.

The truck now only has 82,000 miles since I use it only when I need a truck. It has served me with excellent reliability and I really enjoy driving it.

As soon as I bought it, I went through and replaced ALL fluids and filters and checked everything closely. Since then I have changed oil regularly, changed brake fluid a few more times and flushed the cooling system again since then. The front brake pads are now getting thin but that is the maintenance it has seen during this time.

The only failure I've had was the alternator. A new one in place and that issue was taken care of.

SOooo... some five years after posting here and learning that the truck I wanted, actually existed, I found it, bought it and am enjoying it while getting great use of it.

One more thing. I believe that with this generation of trucks, Ford finally built a truck that drives as much like a passenger car as such a large vehicle could be made to do.