View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Ronzi
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
This was a response I got from 75f350 when I was asking him pretty much the same question in your opening post:

Hey there. That appears to be a decent rear axle. I am actually more fond of the 14 bolt than any other rear axle. Not all are the same, but this one appears to be just fine. You do not want too many of the dually axles and want to stay away from mid 80's axles with ribbed center sections. The one you found does not have any ribs, and takes decent hubs. These will actually have the same spindle nut as your dana 60 so you will not have purchase additional tools to work on it.
Things you will have to do is, make sure that your gear ratio is the same as the front, but you will find that parts and set-up is much easier than any other axle.
This axle also has 9/16" lugs, so you will have to purchase new ones. Your current lugs are 1/2" and these are larger.
You will also have to modify your driveshaft because this axle has a slight offset to the pinion and it takes a different style u-joint than your currecnt joint. It is a funny size, and it uses straps instead of typical u bolts. You can purchase std 1350 or even 1410 yokes, and if your ride is lifted it might just work with very little modification. You will also have to make up some brake lines, since your truck feeds from the left side and the 14B is closer the the center gut favors the right side of the diff. Vent tube is different, but easilly modified.
These brakes are larger than yours, and you will find better braking over your current set-up.
Disc brake conversions are cheap as can be, and pretty easy.
You will be pleased with this rear axle, and once you decide to install a locker, you will find that these are cheap as well. YOu wont invest near as much iin this as you did in the dana, and this axle will not let you down.
Much luck.