View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Depends on what's wrong with it. I've fixed several myself but it's not for the novice.

You need the testing equipment, and a place to get parts from etc... Potentiomiters, Diodes, resistors, tubes, transistors, etc... You also need the knowledge of how to solder, and how to follow circuts in a circut board. Then there are parts not avaliable anywhere else than with another broken radio, exactly like yours to get parts from. And hopefully it's not broke in the same way etc...

First thing I'd check is to look inside for any dry or cracked solder joints, especially where the radio ground wire attaches to the radio chassis on the inside. If it all looks good you can clean the inside of the radio with electronic cleaner if it's really dusty and dirty inside.

Other than that, not much help for it.
Unlike most of my friends,I have the confidence and enough knowledge to probably do it,but like you said,it's a matter of finding the parts.I'll probably take it apart tomorrow and look for dry solder joints and see where that leads me.If I don't find anything,then i'll just pronounce it dead and start looking for another one.Thanks for the help y'all.