Thread: Bad Batch
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurnerBioDiesel
The reaction will still happen at liwer temps. It will just need longer mixing time. I have processed Fuel at 120 F. How long did you mix for. With recoved methanol you should use 30% versus 20% or 22% like some people. When you recoverd the methanol did you keep the temp under 212 F to reduce water. If you still have the same oil in a container take another titration of it just to make sure you did it right. I made Glop before that I could not fix. We just burnt it in our furnace. You may want to put it in a Barrel and let it settle for a wile.
I mixed for a little over 1 hour. I think the problem was I used too much recovered methanol (5 gal recovered/ 21/2 gal new) Yes I recovered methanol at 190 deg.
I will titrate what I have and see what I get. My question is, after I titrate and determine how much KOH I need, do I still have to use the same amount of methanol? (7 1/2 gal) There should be SOME methanol in the mix right now even though some of it is not virgin. I don't know what will happen if I use too much methanol.
Thanks Tom