Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shafe76
I'm interested in switching to the Mile Marker hubs that are listed on ebay. Can anyone tell me the difficulty involved in replacing the cheap plastic OEM ones with the Mile Marker ones?

My issue with the OEM's on my '00 X LTD 4X4 V10 is that I had to use a pair of vise grips to get them to move into position to switch to 4WD and applying all that force to one small section of the hub center strip is causing the plastic to crack. I attempted to switch back to 2WD by returning the hubs to the "free" position only to find my "4WD LOW" dash light is staying lit.

Does this mean that even if I switch to the Mile Marker hubs, I may still have an issue switching back and forth between 4WD and 2WD??

P.S. I'm in Southern Maryland (Lexington Park to be exact) and it's nice to see there's other X owners in my neck o' the woods with similar problems. Misery loves company!!
First of all, there is no link between the front hub position and the light on the dash. The light on the dash indicates T-Case engagement via the switch on the dash. If you are in 4WD LO, you are probably not doing the right things to get it out. You have to be in neutral with your foot on the brake and then switch to 4WD HI. Once in 4WD HI you can then switch to 2WD at any time. If the light on the dash does not change when you do these things, you have a problem with the T-Case motor.

For your hub sticking issue. Yes, a great upgrade is to swap the POS OE units for some nice Mile Marker or Warn ones. The install is simple and if you do a Google search you will find lots of info on how to do it. Once done you can cap off your vacuum lines and never have to worry about leaks that could affect your HVAC system too.