View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ford12508
I have been afraid of doing the screw driver technique, what if I get the screw driver in, but it is stuck on so tight, that the screw driver technique doesnt work. Then not only do I have an old filter on there, but it has a hole in it. Is the screw driver technique 100% guarantee, or like 95% at least?

Edit - I just tried the leather belt suggestion, it was on the filter, I pulled on the end and tried twisting it with my hand. I kid you not when I say that I put over 100 pounds of force of the filter and it wouldn't come off. I heard some noises, but they werent the filter, I think it was the filter adapter. I am going to bring it over to a mechanic and have them deal with it. My mechanic was able to get it off in a matter of seconds last time I was there, but maybe it was tightened PROPERLY before he got to it
I have run into them where I had to remove the filter in about 10 or more pieces. Every step I had to get more animal like. The last step was using my 24" Channel Locks. It seems that some of the grease monkeys out there figure they'll never see this car/truck again so they'll just make it hard for the next guy to change the filter.