View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
'34 only running on 4 cylinders

My grandfather bought this truck in 1941 and it has been in the family since. Ever since my grandfather died, we've been having problems with it. We used to have a Stromberg on it, but it kept on leaking and giving us problems, so we put a Ford 91-99 (I think) on it. It seemedto run pretty good for a little while. I had also put new points in the distributor because those were shot. When it started running on 4 cylinders I was going up a hill and it was like a switch, it just started missing. When I got it home I used a timing light on all the cylinders and they are showed that they were working with the light. I then shorted each of the spark plugs out to find out which cylinders weren't running and found out it was the 2 inner cyl on the drivers side and the 2 outer cyl on the passengers side. I'm not sure what to think here because those 4 are fed by the same barrel of the carburetor and they are also on the same "half" of the rotor. We switched the carb back to the stromberg to see if it would run any different, but it was the same. Does this sound like a fuel or spark issue? I just want to get it running good before it gets nice out again. Many thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Red