Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 19704X4F250
Probably not any more than what would be under there with that many miles on it. I did change the valve cover gaskets this past summer and there was maybe 1/4 inch of gunk I cleaned out.

It happened after I changed the oil but that was 1000 miles ago. The filter is a Fram and I put in 10w-30 for high mileage engines.

If I come across a gauge I will check it.

UPDATE!! I have been driving it to work this past week and a NEW noise has popped up. A rod knock!! It only does it fully warmed up and at idle. Give it a little throttle and it goes away. The factory idiot gauge fluctuates between halfway and nothing. I am thinking about changing the oil to 10w-40 this weekend maybe with some STP, too. Looks like I may have to change the oil pump if I can get it to last until spring. Weird, this engine doesn't burn or leak oil between changes and has been super dependable. Thanks for all the replies!!
You are doing the opposite of what you need. Switch to ordinary 5W30 oil and stop using Fram filters. Get a Wix, Purolator, or Motorcraft.

You need a light oil, heavy oil is harder to pump, so you get less oil flow to the valves and lifters and other moving parts when you use the heavier oil, and it takes longer to get the oil to those parts on startup. Those fram filters do not have good anti-drainback devices, if they have them at all, this makes the problem worse.

The proper weight is 5w30, and you should stick with that regardless of the mileage or oil consumption.