View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 PM
79f350wheeler
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydro assist

ummmm ok?.... dont listen to that guy. it has advantages on the street. for starters having a hydraulic ram connected to your tie rod will make it hold tight and eliminates those cheesy steering stabilzers and works much better. second of all i run 49's and my brother has 44's and we are able to turn our tires dry cement at a stand still. you need to use a ram(cylinder) that is able to keep up to street use. therefore you can only use a ram with a bore no larger than 1.75". that is the max really for street as a 2" would be a lil bit too slow and be a bit scary. but you also need to make sure you are getting enough flow from your pump. may want to go to the saginaw pump. then you need a stroke of 8" for regular steering setup and only a 6" stroke for high steer setup like mine. i would recommend using only the psc ram as it offers the best quality and it has the 3/4" rod. the smaller the rod the more lbs its able to pull . go to a 1" rod and it definately pushes and pulls less. on that topic the ram will push better than it will pull( probably difference of 1500 lbs or so). there is an online calculator to figure out what you are looking for. my brother has all the numbers of the psc ram that is a 1.75x8x1" ....does matter if it is a 6" stroke or 8" stroke same thing. you should use the 2wd long shaft style steering box as it is better for making drag link angle and also has more turning radius anyways. just box in your frame and bolt it up. hydro assist along with crossover/high steer is one of your best upgrades for a truck like you have on 44's. trickiest part is tapping your 2wd box in the right spot and getting the hoses made to make it all work. if you need any advice i know exactly where to tap em and how to build proper hydraulic lines.