View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VEECON
thanks, ive heard various things from replacing the rancho shocks with bilstein 5100's and its not worth replacing the leaf springs to replacing the whole kit. i just need to make the right decision and spend the least amount to get what im looking for. please refer to my previous long post as well lol also, do you think the 35s look to small on the current 6"?
Yes, you have many options and at the end of the day you have to decide which option is best for you. Do you plan on keeping the truck for several more years or do you forsee yourself selling the truck in the near future? You have asked about dropping down to a 4" lift kit... is that because the current 6" lift kit is too high for daily use or is that because you don't like the look with the 35" tires? Personally, I prefer the look of a 4" lift kit with 35" tires. However, if you do serious off-roading, then a 6" lift kit would be better for more wheel articulation. Do you have any rubbing issues with the current setup?

From what I have researched, the Skyjacker 6" lift kit has the same basic components as the Icon 4" lift kit (less rear leaf springs) and the Icon 6" lift kit. Your current Skyjacker 6" lift kit comes with front & rear springs that have 5 leaf's per spring pack. The Icon 4" and 6" lift kits have front & rear springs that have 10 or more leaf's per spring pack. That's double the number of leaf's, which is why they ride so much better. IMO, better shocks like the Bilsteins will help but they will not compensate for lower quality leaf packs.

Top Gun Customz sells your current Skyjacker 6" lift kit for $1,568.00 plus another $88.00 for the drop pitman arm. That's a total of $1,656 not including any shocks (front or rear).

6" 99-04 Ford Super Duty 4x4 Skyjacker Lift System - Top Gun Customz

Truck Toyz Performance sells the Icon 4" lift kit for $1,204.00 after deducting the rear block and the front & rear Icon shocks. Add back $675.00 for the rear leaf springs and the total is $1,879.00.

Truck Toyz Performance sells the Icon 6" lift kit for $1,877.00 after deducting for the front & rear shocks.

2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store=

You can then order the Bilstein 5100 front & rear shocks from ShockWarehouse.com for approximately $300.00. However, since your just purchased new Rancho shocks, you may just want to keep those and save some money.

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

Therefore, if you sell you current Skyjacker 6" lift kit for $700-$800, then you will only have to spend approximately $1,100 for either the Icon 4" or 6" lift kit. Add another $300.00 for the Bilstein 5100 shocks and you're still at $1,400.00.

Icon was having a 10% sale back in December. Call Truck Toyz Performance at 888-776-8699 to see if they will still honor the sale.