Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 AM
grockin2004
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good information. Thanks a lot.

I've confirmed by measuring the stroke difference from the #1 and #4 cylinders that it has a 3.78 stroke, from my research that is consistent with the 390 crank assy. I will upgrade the ignition to the Duraspark this weekend. I suppose then I need to set the timing according to 390 specs, not to the 360 sticker on the side of the valve cover. What is ideal 390 ignition timing set at? I'll get a manual this weekend to help me out too.

As far as headers, they are certainly in my future plans but, I'm fine with the stock units for now; except there are no gaskets between the manifolds and the heads! What's up with that? I did some more internet research and discovered that some FE trucks came from the factory without manifold gaskets. Is this true? So needless to say, the engine snaps and pops and blows fire out between the heads and manifolds in a few places. If that's not a fire waiting to happen, I don't know what is! Just add a little fuel leak. Sounds terrible too! Manifolds may be cracked and causing my leaks. In any case, I'm sure I can get gaskets and fix this problem. Otherwise, good headers may be coming soon...

What about splitting the stock exhaust system into a dual pipe and muffler system with balancing tubes? Does in make a big difference other than sound?

Thanks TigerDan, I'll go with a car 4 bbl manifold instead of the performance aftermarket units. I also plan to go with a 650 cfm Edelbrock AVS w/ electric choke. I used one on my last SBC build and loved it. It was nearly perfect right out of the box. I also have a 750 double pump Holley unit that I might play with too. That's the fun of tinkering right?

Thanks again.

Gary

Last edited by grockin2004; 01-14-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling correction