View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 10:53 PM
zoloent
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion Transmission Problem

I have a 2001 Excursion 4 X 4, with the 7.3 Diesel engine. Before the 36,000 mile warranty expired I took it to the dealer and had it serviced and inspected, and no problems were found.

I just turned 41,000 miles and up to now I have had no problems. A few days ago when returning to LA from Las Vegas, the outside temp was 114.

I noticed that the engine service soon light had come on. A few minutes later the overdrive light on the shifter started to blink. So I trued to reset it but it would not reset.

I stopped at a truck stop and checked the trans oil level which was OK. When I started to leave the startion, I noticed that the trans was starting to slip in first gear. but once it shifted into second gear, it seams to be OK.

I took it to the dealer the next day and I got a rude awakening!

The 100,000 mile powertrain warranty does not cover the transmission, and the bumper to bumper warranty expired at 36,000 miles.

I was told by the dealer that when they put the test computer on the system, 6 trouble codes came up. all related to the transmission, and that the trans needs a total overhaul or a new factory trans, all at my expense.

The dealer can not tell me what caused the problem only that the trans has to be replaced.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

e-mail me at zoloent@juno.com

Thanks,

zoloent