Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 AM
THE BLUE HEAP
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Handegard
I know how to test it, it's pretty easy, but you have to have a lab scope >shrug<

If you have a really fast switching multimeter, you could probably use that in it's place.

You hook the scope (or multi-meter) up to the output from the PIP. As the motor (or distributor, if bench tested) is turned, the PIP should output a square waveform, between 12 and 0 volts. A meter would be able to give you a rough idea, if you saw it change between 12 and 0 over and over again. Usually when a CKP (PIP here) dies, it stops sending a signal all-together, so the meter idea would be somewhat helpfull.

If your PIP is behind the harmonic balancer, make sure the teeth on the ring are all clean, and check that the sensor itself isn't too far away from the ring's teeth. I can find you the spec tomorow, if you need it, but it's pretty close.

Oh, and also if you have the one behind the balancer, check the wiring harness. They can come loose from the mounts, and rub on your belts or pulleys.

I'm really bad at "remote diagnosing" things, but I will gladly help you as much as I can It's far more fun to work on a Ford (even remotely) than it is to work on Audi's all day!
Handegard WHAT A PRO/GUY U R!!!

In all the komotion with my problematic HEAP I forgot to thank you for your input so, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....

I'll try to do what you suggested & let you all know what I found.

I was able to pull old codes & one of them was CODE 74 "Brake On/Off switch not actuated during KOER test (user error)" & I just noticed today that when I engage the hand brake my brake idiot light does'nt come on...I don't know if it's part of my ongoing surging problem (you know sometimes you get small hints from the automobile that could be relevent to the problem) but I'll look into that too!!!

What a van.... now she wants me to do the "wiggle test"... Ford should change the letters inside the blue oval to say "PMS" although I do love the new Mustangs...

Thanks