View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 03:24 AM
threefiftyone
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YAW Rate Sensor...READ

Long story short...Wife was driving and felt the brakes grab while rounding a corner in a 25 mph neighborhood. The "slip" light came on and stayed on. I told her to run it straight down to Ford. She did and luckily for us the light stayed on long enough for the tech to take it for a spin. We had brought it in for this same problem twice before, but the light would always go out before we made it to the dealership. The basically said nothing's wrong, and sent us on our way.

They had it for a couple days and could not figure out what was wrong. Between calling Ford HQ and troubleshooting, 3 days later they found a dead cell in the battery (which wasn't directly related to the problem). They also found that the YAW Rate Sensor was malfunctioning. They replaced that as well. With that said, they still informed us that what they did is only what they found during troubleshooting. It was not a direct fix to the problem that we brought it in for. They don't know why that was happening, and if the light hadn't stayed on, they would have sent us on our way asap. Ford HQ could not tell them exactly what was wrong, just to try certain things to see what it "might" be.

If you're not familiar with e YAW rate sensor, basically it controls the vertical axis of the vehicle. If it malfunctions, it will send mixed signals to each wheel via ABS and have negative reactions within the ECU ultimately throwing a code. I'm sure you tech guys can elaborate more.

The dealer also told me that when a code is "going off" (lack of terminology) it is supposed to be saved within the computer's memory. They said that the code for the YAW rate sensor had not been tripped - there was no record of it in the computer, yet it was faulty.

I'm not trying to bash the dealer, but the tech told me himself that they didn't know what the problem was, even though that seemed to fix the problem for now.

ok, ok, my long story short is still long, but i'm leaving out a lot still. This is the jist of it.

If you've experienced this keep track of it