Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will have to figure out which amperage this one is. It wouldnt hurt to get a rebuilt one that has higher amperage for the year. I know theres was a heavy duty one. From macs they have a 30 amp one for 56-59 so I assume the 30 amp one is the standard one. The heavy duty one is a 40 Amp used on the 312 and 368 with A/C. Theres also a 35 amp generator as well listed for 56 - 59. I could always upgrade to that but then again what is 5 - 10 amps to be honest. I dont think I would really see a difference with a generator putting out 5 or 10 amps more.

On the charging issue if I have to charge the battery up I always remove the terminals and connect directly to the battery but I dont like letting any of my vehicles sit for more than a week without being runned and drove a good 40 miles at least.

I found a formula to figure out how many amps you need for an alternator I was just curious to see what would be needed. I dont know if its right but it basically says

Max vehicle amp load and says its typically 40% of the alternator output + 50% of the Amps/Hr of the battery + amperage added that isnt factory. So I came up with the following

40% of stock generator comes out to 12 Amps, 50% of 55 Amps Hr comes out to 27.5 Amps + 20 Amps (stock radio is 5 amps and my 220 watt aftermarket radio is 25 amps so I figure a am/fm guts installed in the stock would be 25 Amps itself so thats 20 Amps more than stock)

12 Amps + 27.5 Amps + 20 Amps = 59.5 Amps. Might as well say 60 Amps is needed. But even if you dont figure in the 20 extra amps its still 39.40 Amps. I cant remember how to figure up amperage for all the circuits I am trying to find that then I will figure up the amperage in fuses and see what the real Amp requirement for everything is.

If I am doing this correct I come up with the following

Headlights, Tail lights, stop Lights, and Instrument Panel = 12 Amps
Heater Blower = 14 Amps
Dome, Map, and Courtesy Lighs = 7.5 Amps
Radio = 5 Amps
Turn Indicators = 7.5 Amps
Clock = 1 Amp

So with every last thing turned on listed above I come up with 47 Amps total. But considering At the most I would have the headlights on, the heater, the radio, the turn signals and the clock is always on and that comes out to 32 Amps total. But the fuses isnt a good way to figure up the amperage the components are using thats the max amps it can use so basically I should be safe. If not then I will just have to look at getting a 40 amp generator.

Figuring in 50% amperage use compared to the fuse (the circuits cant use more than the fuse so they have to be 50% - 75% of the fuse rating) I come up with 23.5 Amps for all the fuses listed above at 50% and 35 1/4 Amp at 75%. I am not 100% sure but I am thinking the circuits are using 50% - 60% of the fuse rating. But this is all guess work. Oh well guess I shouldnt really worry bout it. The generator has to put out more amps than what the car uses otherwise it wouldnt have been drove up to 86.