Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Cool Alternator that looks like a Generator - Help

I need some help from those that might just happen to know of a company I havent heard of nor found in my searches.

I would really like to convert my 56 Fairlane to a 12 Volt Neg ground alterator. Drawback is since its a restoration I want the alternator to be in a stock looking generator housing.

The follow places are those that I already know about and are no go's.

Powermaster. Their Power-Gen alternators that look like generators are nice but they are one wire. Which means I would have to splice in my reproduction factory harness to get the Gen light on the dashboard to work. Like wise its a one wire alternator which means got to spin the alternator fast enough before it will start charging, not to mention it only senses voltage at the regulator at the alternator and not remotely which means theres a possibility of having 11 volts or less after the junction box (or in this cars case after the female bullet connector terminal). So this company is out.

I was told by Powermaster in a email about this other company called Gener-Nator which has been shown and a video about it on Jay leno`s garage. They use the orignal generator housing to put in new alternator guts. Jay leno bragged about how you use the exsisting factory wiring that hooks up and works like factory. Well after a email to Don of Gener-Nator, I found out that this is basically the same unit that Powermaster is selling under the Power-Gen name. It is a 1 wire alternator itself and the external regulator and factory wiring that hooks up to it is for the most part dummy wires only one wire is real and it goes to the battery. This company is out because as I stated above I dont want a inferior 1 wire alternator as a conversion. For those that think their great good for you but I just want it to work like the factory generator just be an alternator.

So if anyone out there knows of a company that sell or convert old generators to be alternators and most importantly be able to custom convert them to an external regulated alternator guts where it would hook up to a external regulator and work just like stock let me know.