View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Bed Liner Drains

I recently installed a slide in style bed liner and after a recent rain I observed that the geniuses that designed it did NOT include drain holes . Of coarse a couple of hard accelerations dumps the water out the back but should you have covered boxes in the bed they would be sitting in several inches of water if the truck had been parked. I know that some of you are thinking, jeeeech...drill some holes and it'll drain, and you are so right, kinda!

The bed has numerous ribs that run the length of the lined and dead-end into the cab portion and they don't leave much room except for 1/4" holes which will more than likely plug up with bits of debris. The ribs also do NOT inter connect to a common drain trough at the head end. To either side of these ribs is an area quite large that a much larger hole (s) could be drilled.

Now for my question:
What has the experience been of other forum members that have installed drain holes in a slide in style liner? Just on the front sides? In between the ribs every so often? Did you have a drainage/plugging problem? Did you find that wet debris collected between the liner and the bed to cause rust/corrosion? etc, etc, etc?

Any input is always appreciated.

Rog