View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starmilt
Any time you have a fuel leak it will not start and keep running you have to turn the motor over until it has reprimed itself. this is very hard on the starter. NEVER crank on the starter over about 20 seconds without letting it cool for a couple minutes.
I hear ya, diesel cold starting 101 there lol. I don't even crank it for that long at a time myself. I only go about 15 seconds at the maximum before letting it rest. The starter is actually the very first part I replaced when I first bought this truck about 5 years ago. I have learned many practices from this good forum through these past years.

My batteries were a little low on water when I inspected them. Upon filling them up, I tried to charge them but they appeared to be full before my cranking experience. I'm thinking the new water hasn't quite worked through the cores yet or my charger is on the fritz.

About the filter...THANK YOU! I was told at the ford dealer where I got the filter that the single piece filters would not fit my year. Gonna have a new one on order as soon as I can...Now the other question. Wix/Napa or Motorcraft? I've been using Motorcraft filters due to better filtration (from what I understood from my oil filter debates on this forum) but is that true for fuel as well? For $30 a pop, I am starting to wonder....

-Dave