View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fuel filter base leakage

Well, while crawling around the truck today to install the headlight harness I received from LMC...I discovered another gremlin that I thought I had fixed for good.

Upon inspection, I noticed a larger drip pattern on my valve cover underneath the fuel filter. I had noticed this before when I tightened up the filter this summer...but it is growing again.

The issue became especially apparent after the headlight fix. I had one HELL of a time getting the truck to start. Ended up having to pull both batteries to give them a charge... This issue astounds me as I've started off just glowplugs in much colder weather before. After two hours of block heater, she FINALLY fired...but those batteries were having a hell of a time turning her.

Anyway, back to the filter. I inspected the top and bottom seals and they are leak free! I have come to the conclusion that the culprit is the base with the fuel heater/drain valve. Are these known to leak excessively? I've got it closed as tight as it will go and I still get a leak pattern on the valve cover. Is there a possible replacement part? Really don't want to crank it any tighter and break the threads...but it is very tempting...

-Dave