View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 AM
david_jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck - I did not try 4X4 Auto only 4X4 high. Not sure if it makes that much difference. Read the owners manual and it was not super clear on when to use which. I did gather that 4X4 auto is more like "on demand" 4 wheel drive and only kicks in when the wheel senses slip, while 4X4 high all wheels are fully engaged. Do I have that right? I have used 4X4 auto a few times when we drove into slippery conditions but not deep snow.

Tony - I did not get to try the Expedition in today's snow storm. Unfortunately I had to work the midnight shift last night and my company car is a front wheel drive sedan with no snow tires. I work in Northampton and drive home to the Berkshires. We got about 8 inches of snow and it took me 2 hours to drive home with almost no traffic to deal with on the roads I drive. I did manage to get in my driveway, barely, but went to bed and didn't get up until 4 PM when it was all gone. Some of the roads around my house are poorly plowed so when I went out this evening I did put it in 4X4 auto on those roads. No problems. Maybe in the next storm I can get it out and really play a bit in some deep stuff. That will give me an idea of whether I am going to need dedicated snow tires. Right now the stock tires have been impressing me in what I've driven in so far.