View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM
jimjoebob99
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So after 70 miles going 70mph down the interstate the other day with no problems (to get me home after the first sign of problems), the truck couldn't manage to make it 2 miles to my buddies house last night. He has a welder and more tools so I figured that it would be better to do the job over there. I think that I grenaded it, but I was so angry that I didn't want to mess with it last night so I just let her sit. It got most of the way there with no problem then there was a high pitch squeal for about 3 seconds, then another lower pitch squeal for about the same amount of time. I was about 2 blocks from his house and pulled down an alley. I stopped and shifted it into 4L with the hubs unlocked (figured that it worked before) to try and make it the rest of the way. It went good for about 25 yards and then the squeals came back followed by popping. I stopped and went back to 2H. The same thing. It felt like the gears were tearing the teeth from each other. It was physically slowing the truck down. I shut her down and pulled the rear drive shaft and pulled her the rest of the way to his house.

I'm going to see if I can pull it out over the next couple of days to see what damage I did and what I can find out about the initial problem. I'll take some pictures too. I like the electric shift but if it not able to be repaired, I think that i'm going to go with a manual shift transfer case. I heard that there is an access door in the floor of the truck and all I would have to do is find a donor at the junk yard and snag the tc and all the linkage making sure that it has the same slip and yolk joints as my current one. Does anyone know if this would effect the computer in the truck at all? I know that the tranny is tied to the computer through the MLPS and a few other sensors but does it operate differently when engaged into 4H or 4L? Would my "4x4" and "low range" lights still work on the dash? This is all thinking for down the road though. I'm back to driving the old full size Dodge clunker van for the time being. I hate driving that thing so I hope my Truck isn't down too long. Thanks for all the good info alxsnmr! I'll keep everyone informed of what I find.