View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
bf204
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking Tires: LT vs P ? Mich vs BFG?

Hi All,

My 00 Expedition 4x4 (5.4L) which is relatively new to me, could use some new rubber. It has Michelin LTX M&S on it now. They're worn pretty badly, and my first experience with wintery roads with these tires didn't instill confidence that I'd want to go through the winter on them... Size on there is P 255/70/16.

Given that I want winter performance and also good grip on gravel/sand wet boat launches in summer, I'm thinking I want to go with a more aggressive A/T style tread. Some road noise won't bother me. Options that I've seen are the Michelin LTX AT/2's (which come in P series) or BFG A/T KO's... they come in LT255/70/16, not in P series. There's nothing to call between them for price (they're both whacky expensive here..., about $1150 for 4 installed/balanced and with all taxes in). But that price is for P series tires for the michelin, and LT for the BFG's. FWIW, I had the BFG's on a previous 2WD F150 and thought they were a good tire, although they seemed to wear a bit fast.

So, what say you? Should I stay with P series tires, or get LT's? I expect the sidewalls of LT's to be stiffer, and give a rougher ride... it seems since P series is what it came with, that I am not sacrificing any load or towing capacity by staying with them... am I??

What about the michelin A/T 2's versus BFG A/T KO's? Anyone got either on their expedition and have thoughts one way or the other?

thx.