View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 03:48 PM
64deville
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, here is what we did.

we tested the plug, it was getting very weak spark.

we replaced the cap and rotor. still would not start.

Then we replaced the ignition control unit. on my F150 its the flat style like this one: Ignition Module/Control Unit by BWD - Part CBE24Z - Advance Auto Parts
Still would not start.

So then we determined that maybe the plugs were gas fouled. Pulled them and they all reeked of gas and were black. Replaced the plugs and retested the spark plugs with the tester. Nice blue spark this time but still would not start.

Then figured the cylinders had been washed out with gas so we decided to push it up to the top of the lot and coast/pop start it. Fired up and ran ok but wouldn't idle well. Let it idle with a foot on barely on the accelerator and my friend jiggled the connection going into the ignition control unit. Seemed to improve so I electrical taped it into place because it wants to pop off really easily. Tomorrow going to the junkyard and finding a more solid one. Part of the retaining clip on mine is busted.

So, I guess one problem caused another. Faulty connection to the ignition control module caused gas fouled plugs from repeated starting attempts. At least thats what I'm going with.

Thanks everyone and yes, I probably miss the point in some of the suggestions. Was just certain I knew in my mind how everything worked.