Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Greenlawnracing
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mwsF250
This is a lame answer, I know, but yes, it can be corrected. There are thousands of us running around with no wander.

As to exactly what is causing it for you, I wish I could help, but there are lots of things that can cause it.

You haven't mentioned track bar bushing, bracket, and bolt condition. If there is ANY slop in the track bar, it can cause wander - especially over bumps. That was the root cause in mine at 140K miles.

Bent or whacky wheels can cause it as well. Some wheels come out of factory with heavy spots. Adding lead and balancing can correct the primary imbalance, but lead to a secondary harmonic problem.

A suggestion: Borrow wheels and tires from someone whose truck runs straight and true. See if that makes a difference.
That is what has me so frustrated. Clearly, not every truck does this so it CAN be fixed. I'm just having a hell of a time findiing out what the problem is so that I can fix it.

Track bar bushing, bracket, and bolt condition - I'll show my ignorance here. I'm not familar with those components - where are they? Got a schematic?

Edit: just googled them and I'm thinking that they are only present on 4WD models. Is that the case?

I wouldn't suspect it is the wheels, because I probably would have noticed when I replaced the tires. I can swap them with the wheels off of a friend's truck though.

Originally Posted by mwsF250
Also, any clunks, ticks, or other noises of any kind when hitting bumps?

Any binding, even subtle, as wheels turn back and forth off center>

Steering damper condition?
Nope, not a sound. I haven't noticed any binding, but can run outside and check. Do I simply turn the wheel lock to lock while idling and feel for any resistance?

Truck doesn't have a steering damper.