View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Husky44
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex03AK
Though I am not there yet, I intend to go with Banks after the new year.
Stew
FWIW, I'd do some more research on Banks before I bought their stuff; I personally just decided not to consider the Banks setup after doing my homework.

In my experience, they were NOT very user-friendly in getting me detailed info for my application, or even a shipping quote. There's another post on here (or maybe on the V10 page) that gave another person's very dissatisfied experience with the whole Banks Power Pack.

I can't speak for the Ex V10, but in general, I don't think you get a lot of bang for your buck from CAI. I've read on here before that others have actually checked intake air temps, and are reading within a few degrees of ambient. So the "C" in CAI isn't really going to help you. A drop-in K&N or orther free-flowing airfilter may get you better flow, but in general, CAIs don't add a lot of performance gain.

The restricted Y-pipe is definitely worth resolving. I'm still researching the header issue; generally shorties are marginal improvement over stock exhaust manifolds, and long tubes are the recommended way to get real performance gains. That said, you've got to have the exhaust to flow them all the way out (y-pipe, cats, muffs, etc), however, you can open up too much and lose your backpressure, robbing yourself of the low-end torque you really need. Also, IMHO, you need to do some significant intake flow improvements (read forced induction) in order to really need to increase (and see the benefits of) an exhaust flow increase on these trucks.

In my experience (again, not specific to the truck, but generally), the single best SOTP improvement you're going to buy is gears, particularly if you're running 3.73s.

There's my input on power/performance improvements, but again, what is your goal?