View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 59flatbedford
well ok im only 18 so ever since i can remember radials have been the best thing since sliced bread. So... what the difference between radials and bias plys. why does everyone say that radials are so much better.

The problem is Two-Fold.

1: Our trucks were Not designed to run Radials, Bias-Ply works just fine as they are what was in use at the time.
The suspension & everything connected to it is Not set up for the use of them. Which means you have to reset everything, which is a Major pain in the **** to do. And the explanation of how a Bias-Ply is designed isn't very hard at all, as some would have you believe.

Bias-Ply

Bias tire (or cross ply) construction utilizes body ply cords that extend diagonally from bead to bead, usually at angles in the range of 30 to 40 degrees, with successive plies laid at opposing angles forming a crisscross pattern to which the tread is applied. The design allows the entire tire body to flex easily, providing the main advantage of this construction, a smooth ride on rough surfaces. This cushioning characteristic also causes the major disadvantages of a bias tire: increased rolling resistance and less control and traction at higher speeds.

Belted bias

A belted bias tire starts with two or more bias-plies to which stabilizer belts are bonded directly beneath the tread. This construction provides smoother ride that is similar to the bias tire, while lessening rolling resistance because the belts increase tread stiffness. However the plies and belts are at different angles, which lessens performance compared to radial tires.

2: Radials are made the same way the Retreads are, in other words they are a Two-Piece design. Which in my experience almost got me killed because of the Tread separating away from the rest of the tire on the Freeway.
And it happened more than once w/ the Michelin brand tires I was running at the time. It happens More often than the Tire manufacturers are willing to state because of the Billions it'd cost them in recalls.

Radial tire construction utilizes body ply cords extending from the beads and across the tread so that the cords are laid at approximately right angles to the centerline of the tread, and parallel to each other, as well as stiff stabilizer belts directly beneath the tread. The advantages of this construction include longer tread life, better steering control, and lower rolling resistance. Disadvantages of the radial tire include a harder ride at low speeds on rough roads and in the context of off-roading, decreased "self-cleaning" ability and lower grip ability at low speeds.