View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting air out of cooling system

After paying a shop to "flush" my cooling system I was not thrilled with how it looked when I opened the cap on the overflow tank. I decided to buy some Coolant flush and clean it more. I followed the directions and drove about 3 hours over 2 days and then drained the radiator. Filled with water, ran engine and heat and drained again. Did this about 4 times to make sure I was getting most of the stuff out. When I felt I was done I added 1 gallon of anti-freeze and 1 gallon of distilled water. Drover around and then let it sit overnight last night thinking I would need to add more coolant. To my surprise it was still ner the cold level.

Tonight I let the engine run for about 15+ minutes with heat on and off and the overflow tank cap off thinking there might be air in the system. Closed the tank up and drove a couple of miles. Popped hood and took off cap and did not have much pressure. Let it idle, drove a little and now waiting until tomorrow morning to see if level goes down.

My question is could air be in the system? I thought letting it run with the cap off would remove all the air. Also, seems that only adding 2 gallons is not nearly the capacity. The coolant in the tank seems much cleaner leading me to believe I got most of the old stuff but it still seems like I should have added another 1 - 2 gallons of coolant/distilled water. WE are going on a camping trip Thursday and towing a pop up so don't want to get into the trip and have it overheat. The driving I did tonight was idling for 20+ minutes and a few miles and it stayed at normal temp. thanks