View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:03 AM
WilleyB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ken

easy folks take that big e250 down and get the codes checked and cleard
Hi Ken and thanks for your posts. Well yes I could go to the stealership for a code reading however that wont fix anything and it will cost $100 for the reading. Problem with that is if I didn't agree to fixing it right then and there theyed take the current safety sticker off and inform police, ah well nuts to that as the vehicle is as safe as it ever was. The ABS only deployed 0nce since I owned it (on a steep hill with new asphalt and a stop light ahead. (they do work but are not necessary if one knows how to drive)

johnniemac

might be the abs tone ring sensor switch on top of the rear axle ... I've changed it on my e350 chassis RV and it solved the abs light problem you describe ...
Well yes, its a cheap enough fix if that (is or isn't) the problem. However the real problem is that any malfunction causing the brake light to be on will also shut down the ABS system and turn the ABS light on. I don't know if the rear sensor will cause the "brake" light to come on, but $11 is pretty cheap for a test so I'll try that first. The cruise control uses that sensor and it works OK.

[.... and btw, WilleyB I forgot to ask: have you ever changed you rear axle fluid? the magnetic sensor might be full of filings causing it to incorrectly (?) read a problem which in itself might be THE problem (!) ..]
I couldn't say for certain, as the rig is a Canadream ex rental that I bought in 2005. Canadream has their vehicles on a strict maintenance schedule for the warrantee requirements so I'd say it was done as per mfg's recommendations

Our safety inspections may not be as stringent as the ones you have, no emissions tests yet, or code reading. I've had the battery cable off so it isn't a stored code causing the lights to come on. If all else fails I'm building a logic circuit that will operate the lights as normal during the light and system check. One has to wonder though why Ford has chosen to turn the ABS light on/off with a large relay when the lead from the ECU that operates the relay would do the same thing for the light (strange?)

BTW folks All ideas welcome, does anyone know anything about the electronic control unit on the side of the HCU?

Cheers
Willey