View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
He's not worried about it. I am!

2 months ago, my 3-month-old '08 F250 had to go in the shop with 3,000 miles on it because of a transmission output shaft leak. I saw the fluid all over the transmission crossmember and was able to check the fluid and determine that I had enough to get me there. Without a dipstick I would have risked being stuck on the side of the road with no way to add fluid. Or I would have had to wait for a wrecker...neither of which I wanted to do.

My dad's previous Dodge had a very minor transmission leak that we never found. Had around 60,000 miles on it at the time. One day he asked me to look into why it kept stalling on him. Looked online and found out that it was common for a low transmission fluid condition to cause frequent stalling. Warmed up the truck, checked the fluid and found the cause. Would not have been possible without a dipstick!

I do NOT like going to a dealer to have maintenance done, as I don't like paying $80 an hour for labor when I can just as easily do it myself. Without a dipstick, they make it VERY difficult to do it myself!