Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
cstrack
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Thanks for the guidance. Last night, the truck refused to start, right after ~ 15 minutes of running. Fuel pressure was 0, when it would not start. I grabbed my voltmeter and started with your suggestions.
Redwood and I-m tech:
- Incorrectly, I checked the black & pink wire in the fuel pump harness by the fuel tank. No voltage on this wire. Fuel pressure remained 0. I had not realized my mistake at this point (I checked the wrong wire).
- Moved on to the green & yellow wire by the inertia switch. No voltage while it was connected to the switch...6.75 volts when disconnected from the switch. Tried again, no voltage while connected to the switch. Then I triggered the inertia switch, and read 6.75V while the harness was connected to the switch. Reset the switch and no voltage on the green/yellow wire while the harness was connected to the switch. Fuel pressure remained 0 during this process. Note that I checked a black and pinkish looking wire on the other side of the switch harness connector, and it read 12V.
- Moved to the crankshaft speed sensor, I think. I have a photo of the connector, but I can't post photos to this site.<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCHRISS%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCHRISS%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" style='width:431.25pt; height:323.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\CHRISS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image001.jpg" o:title="IMG_0970"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]--> Disconnected what I think was the crankshaft speed sensor. Fuel pressure remained 0.

At this point, I questioned my voltmeter ground on the black & pink wire by the tank, so I started again. After verifying a good ground, I checked the black & pink wire, and it had no voltage. Fuel pressure remained 0, and the truck would not start.

I hooked up the battery charger, and after about 5 minutes (battery voltage ~14.8V), I tried starting it again. Fuel pressure rose to 30, and it started. I had the voltmeter connected during this, and then I realized I had the wrong wire leading to the fuel pump! *#!@&^% Hooked up the PINK & BLACK, and it read 13-14V while running. Turned the engine on/off several times, and the voltage moved from 0 to 12+V, when going from off to on.

As luck would have it, the truck has started fine since. I am waiting for another "no start" moment, in order to catch the PINK & BLACK wire voltage.

Eallenboggs: I will try the fuel volume check, once I plumb a pressure relief valve & hose. My current fuel pressure tester does not have a pressure relief valve. I might try removing the gauge, holding my finger over the hose end, have someone start the truck, and the let the fuel flow into a container.

To add to my string of luck with vehicles, the truck started running rough over the weekend. Felt like it was missing on one cylinder. Autozone pulled the code tonight, and it was P0308...#8 misfire.
Now I have 2 issues to solve. Trying to smile at this point in time.